I have mentioned on my social media that this month I was focusing my blog on some lifestyle and beauty features. With a wedding coming up I have really been focused on taking care of myself, whether it be through fitness and eating healthy to taking proper care of my skin and today I wanted to share some of my skin care secrets with you.
As an on air TV reporter, I wear a lot of makeup. Working for the Weather Network takes me outside a ton so it is really important for me to take good care of my skin when it comes to both protecting it outside and keeping it clean. A challenge for most of us after a long day but something that your future self will no doubt be thanking you for.
I have worked with many makeup artists throughout my TV career. I am also working closely with my wedding makeup artists to get me ready for the big day. Over the years from makeup artists and dermatologists I have picked up a few tips and tricks that I wanted to share with you.
1. Drink lots of water
Trust me, I know this one can be tough. You are rushing to the office, to your workout classes, to cook dinner. It seems that in this day and age we are always rushing somewhere and to do something but it is so important to remember that in between rushing places, chug some water. I really started focusing on this when I had my makeup consultation for the wedding and the first thing my makeup artists asked me was; “how much water do you drink? Your skin is a bit dehydrated.”
We tend to forget that a big portion of our body is made up of water, including your skin cells and without water they cannot function and repair properly. Because of this I start every morning by chugging a glass of water and make sure I constantly have a full water bottle (even if I am going out for a story).
Since focusing on drinking more water not only has my skin started to look healthier, but I also feel like I have more energy during the day and it has also helped me curve food cravings. Win, win, win.
2.Follow the routine, no matter how tired you are
After long days at work and the gym, sometimes I just want to crawl into bed with my face still covered in makeup, but it is so important to keep those pores clean. It is also so important to make sure you find a routine and products that work for your skin type. My skin is fairly neutral so I don’t have to worry about products for oily or dry skin, but recently I started using Dermalogica. My mom has always sworn by their products and now I do to.
- Every day and night no matter how tired I am and even when I am traveling I start with the Precleanse balm, a deep cleansing balm to oil which helps melt the makeup off my skin.
- I then use the multi activate toner to help keep the moister locked in.
- Next I slather on my secret weapon. It isn’t a Dermalogica product but I picked up a wonderful facial oil in the Yukon made with all natural ingredients including carrot seeds and vitamin E. I use this as my serum. Serums are great because they are made up of smaller particles that can dive deeper into the skin
- Don’t forget those eyes. After serum I throw on the Mac cosmetics fast response eye cream. This eye cream has caffeine in it which helps with de-puffs and firms skin
- Lastly I finish it all off with a moisturizer. I use the Dermalogica skin smoothing cream. What I really love about this moisturizer is that it protects for 48 hours against environmental stress which is important when you spend your days working outside.
This one is super important to me for so many reasons. Firstly, a few of my family members have suffered from melanoma. Secondly, as I have mentioned working with the Weather Network I am outside a lot. Protecting my skin from sun damage is super important, not only because of skin cancer but also sun can lead to aging. No matter what the temperature is or if it is raining I always put at least SPF 30 on my face. I also try and find makeup that includes SPF for some extra coverage.
4.Collagen is key
I have spoken about my love for Biosil in my previous piece for hair care, however the product fits in with skin care as well. Biosil helps create collagen, which creates elasticity in your skin. In return it helps promote glowing, vibrant skin. I take two tablets daily for skin, nail, and hair benefits.
5.You are what you eat
Eating well doesn’t just have health benefits for your physique but also for your skin. More and more studies that have been done on the connection between skin and diet show that a poor diet can age your skin. Some foods that are good for your skin include:
- Omega 3: Fatty fishes help keep skin healthy and moisturized. I take a fish oil vitamin daily to help with this.
- Avocado: Avocado has compounds that can protect your hair from skin damage. It also is an excellent source of vitamin E.
- Sunflower seeds: Seeds are great for skin health. They help produce vitamin E and Zinc, all excellent products for your skin’s health.
6.Get your beauty sleep
Your sleep time is also your skins time to recover. Also when you are sleep deprived, that produces more stress hormones, which directly impacts the look of your skin. Also, if you don’t get proper rest collagen and hyaluronic acids break down and so your skin looses that glow. I know it is cliche but a good nights rest really has health benefits for your skin.
7.Splurge on a deep cleanse
No matter how much you scrub and clean and clear sometimes you just don’t have the tools in your tool box. My wedding makeup artist suggested getting regular facials leading up to the big day. I love that the work is all done for you. From hydration to extractions they take care of it all and can also recommend some products that will work well for your skin. Now I know facials can be expensive but sometimes there are Groupon deals (just read the reviews) or membership plans. I joined Skoah’s membership and now my facials cost $60 instead of $90!
Whether you are getting ready for your wedding, a special event, or just want to have beautiful skin these 7 tips can help you get the glowing skin you want.